Baby Turtles

on Sunday, April 26, 2009
When I was a kid my dream was to be a marine biologist. All that I cared about in life existed in water. What did I do for my 6th birthday party in 1989? I went with my friends to see the Little Mermaid, of course. My next birthday, in 1990, I got the movie on video cassette - DVDs didn’t exist back then. It was then that I made a promise to myself to watch it everyday, for the rest of my life. I had the entire movie memorized. I had checked out every single book in the local library that had anything to do with anything ocean. My mom taped every Jacques Cousteau special on TV, and I mourned his passing.

I knew more about sea sponges than anyone. I called jelly fish by their proper scientific name. I pretended I was a mermaid in the pool. I was obsessed.

That suppressed childhood dream came out in me again today. Look what I found at Turtle Beach, at the turtle conservation centere! Finally, the beach lives up to its namesake!





We also spotted a lone otter playing in the surf.



This made me so giddy!

0 comments: