He speaks!

on Thursday, May 14, 2009
Today I heard the president of the United States speak for the very first time. I know, I know. I must be living under a rock. How could I never have heard the voice of my president and the most powerful man in the world, after a tedious year of campaigning and 4 months in office?

I've read about his eloquence and his powerfully delivered speeches, and his presence and cool demeanor. I READ about them. And I did read almost all his speeches, too. The presidential debates, the inauguration speech...I tried to keep up with American politics last year, even though I don't understand it.

But all I had was the internet. My news media of choice is bbc.com. It was on this website that I read his beautifully written words and his well delivered (so it was suggested) speeches.

Since I've been home I have been avoiding the television. My parents just got a super huge flat screen HD TV for the family room and I barely can even figure out how to turn it on. The only thing I've watched is one (ok maybe two) episodes of Oprah.

I turned on the TV today and there he was, in all his High Definition presidential glory. President Obama speaking about credit card interest rates. He made it sound fascinating. I couldn't stop looking at him. Even thought I don't care about credit card interest rates, it sounded important because it was coming from HIM. It was just a 30 second or so clip, but that was all I needed to be convinced.

I feel like I'm way back at the beginning of the presidental campaign. THIS is what the hype was about.

0 comments: