rooted and established

on Sunday, March 7, 2010
This lenten season I've chosen to meditate on Ephesians 3:17-19:

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

What does it mean to be rooted and established in love? How do I take root? What do I establish?

Imagine the tiny acorn of a giant oak tree. When God created the acorn, He was imagining what it would eventually turn into. The acorn itself doesn't know what it will become, but it possesses from within everything it needs to become that grand oak tree [plus a good dose of light, air, water, and soil]. We start as tiny little seeds, full of life and potential. God created us for the intention of transforming from the tiny acorns of self and into the "measure of all the fullness of God". We don't know what we are becoming, but all we can do is trust God for a little light, air, water, and soil.

Seeds have times of dormancy and apparent death. They have to wait...and wait.............and wait...for the perfect conditions before they can explode all that stored up energy into a tiny seedling. If timing is bad, it simply cannot grow. Only by dying to self and waiting expectantly can we grow into what God created us to be. Waiting impatiently or creating my own timeline is foolishness - I have no awareness of the surrounding conditions that threaten me if I plant myself too soon. Only God knows that.

With proper timing and perfect conditions that only God can provide, our newly-flourishing lives will be rooted and established in love. That's the kind of tree I want to be.

My reflections on the above inspired me to go on a little walk this morning. I discovered some rooting and establishing of love along the way.




0 comments: