Inspired by salmonberry

on Sunday, June 6, 2010
As I was walking from campus today, I slowed down and even stopped occasionally to admire the salmonberries (admiration by observation or ingestion). The salmonberry is the first to flower in the year, and the first to berry as well. As I was thinking about what colors to incorporate into my wedding, I was inspired by the salmonberry flower.



As the brilliant pink petals fell to the ground one by one, they were gradually replaced by small greenish berries that grew larger and transformed into hues of pinks and oranges. Perhaps I was drawn to them by the inability to eat them - due to their unripe status at the time. But now, they're ready. I realized today as I was on the trail and admiring the salmonberries - that the color of their fruits were the same colors that I picked for my wedding. I would like to believe that I've spent so much time in the forest this year that the flora and I have begun to think alike.







Once I was looking at the spectrum of colors around me, I began to notice more and more the dazzling signs of new growth: the salal berry, the maple tree helicopters.




Even decay can be brilliant.




Come to think about it, I guess I could compare my own dress (yes! I have a dress) to the blackberry and miner's lettuce flowers - although I wouldn't have known it at the time!





"If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has the power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand – rejoice! For your soul is alive."

-Elanora Dosa

0 comments: