10 things I love about summer

on Tuesday, June 28, 2011
In no particular order, just as they come to mind:

1) Strawberries. Especially the teeny-tiny ones growing in the backyard.



2) Shade as solace. Living this past winter in Seattle, I found myself flocking to rays of sunshine like moths to light. Now it's warm enough for me to sit in the shade and be comfortable! I thought the day would never come.

3) Pleasure reading. And a great book!



4) Peaches. Now I know it is not peach season in Yakima yet, because they still look like this:


The reality that we won't be here for peach season, and for much of the best of the Yakima fruit season, distresses me. I went down and bought some California peaches at Safeway, and they were absolutely delicious. So far, I've made 3 trips to Safeway for them.

5) Quail. Not as food, but friends. I can't wait to see the babies! Especially after I learned that quail young are called "cheepers."

6) Snap-dragons. The stuff of my childhood.



7) A solar clothes dryer. We don't have a clothes line here, but Reuben and I lay all our wet, recently-washed clothes out on the lawn. They're dry in less than 2 hours!

8) Warm nights. There is no better feeling in the world than being outside in the dark and warm.

9) Eating off the bbq. Especially if it's beefalo and fresh veggies from the farmer's market

10) Open door policies. It's a novel concept to open a door and leave it that way, letting the fresh breeze flow through the house. Aahhh, summer.

0 comments: