Rumpus

on Wednesday, November 2, 2011
In the words of Max in Where the Wild Things Are, "Let the wild rumpus begin!" Packing, that is. Today we finally figured out what each of our pieces of luggage would be: we've decided on 2 suitcases, one plastic tote, a bike box, and our carry-on luggage of a computer bag, one rolling suitcase and 2 backpacks. I think we'll have plenty of space, but it's weight that's going to be the issue. So I've begun to distribute the many piles that we've made into the luggage so that they'll not go over 50 pounds each. Ugh.

So what are we bringing? We've been fairly strategic this time around. We have a pretty good idea of what we can and cannot get over there, and what is super expensive over there and cheap here. Take energy bars, for example. Reuben says that Powerbars go for $4 a piece in Malaysia, whereas they're about $1 here. Reuben says that he "plans to run several marathons" when he's over there, so we're bringing over several boxes of bars, protein powder and gatorade. That'll keep him happy for awhile. While I'm on the subject, I think that everyone should stop eating icky power bars and start eating Lara Bars. They are delicious, raw, and have 3 ingredients: peanuts, dates, salt. Yum.

What else are we bringing?



Spices. Italian seasoning, creole, oregano, pumpkin pie seasoning (which I'm putting in everything these days!)

Smoothie supplies. Because I can't get enough green monsters. I use mostly fresh ingredients, but I'm bringing with me wheatgrass powder, chia seeds, and stevia.

Jillian Michaels. I kind of love her dvds now.

A giant bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap. It's a wacko company, but their soap truly is magical. My friend travelled with me to Taiwan with this stuff and used it to wash her clothes, hair, dishes, and bathroom. And it's all natural. What's more to love?

We're using epic amounts of ziplock bags. I try so hard to not use them and to re-use them when I have to. But anything we're packing that is a liquid, gel, powder, or just potentially messy, is going in plastic. Double plastic in many cases. I do NOT want almond extract to get all over my yoga mat.

0 comments: