cacophonies

on Friday, July 17, 2009
When I was studying for my GRE test one of the vocabulary words I memorized was "cacophony".


ca·coph·o·ny
(kə-kŏf'ə-nē)
n. pl. ca·coph·o·nies
1.Jarring, discordant sound; dissonance: heard a cacophony of horns during the traffic jam: a cacophony of hoots, cackles, and wails.
2.The use of harsh or discordant sounds in literary composition, as for poetic effect.
3. Music. frequent use of discords of a harshness and relationship difficult to understand.

I've never truly understood what this word truly meant until yesterday. Combine six children, piano practice, a kareoke machine, a megaphone, a screaming baby, a nephew counting your last 10 minutes on the treadmill by the second, and another one trying to crawl onto the belt behind me, all while listening to my ipod and the hum of the treadmill underneath my feet - somewhere between the blaringly loud episodes of Hannah Montana and the Suite Life of Zach and Cody, I lost it. A little peace and quiet, please? Remind me never to have 6 children.

But I gotta love 'em :)

0 comments: