Whirlwind

on Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Over the summer I have spent more than a month in Phoenix. In that space of time, many things have happened:

A new baby has been born (an aunt for the 8th time!) and baptized.







I started training for a half marathon...September 13!

I saw some rather wonderful kid's movies: Nim's Island (satiated my childhood passion to be a marine biologist) and Kit Kitridge (I loved American Girl dolls!) Aubrey went to her first movie, at the tender age of 6 weeks.



I got a new camera.



I went to the wedding of my very first friend in Cincinnatti.

I road-tripped it to Tennessee, to visit my aunt and uncle, in their new house:




I ate fried chicken at the very first KFC...Colonel Sanders Cafe. In Kentucky, of course.




I got a new driver's license...finally, it's horizontal!

I started watching the Bachelorette. It was an attempt at sisterly-bonding, but I totally got sucked in. I'm so excited for the finale on Monday (Reid comes back ---with a ring!!) I have to admit that I'm a sucker for Ed, and believe along with all of America that Wes is a jerk and Tanner is just...wierd,

I saw the amazing musical 'Wicked'. Glenda the Good Witch's dress looked EXACTLY like the dress that came with my Barbie Ice Princess in 2nd grade.



I went camping, in a trailer.




I started teaching ESL to a group of amazing Karen refugees in Yakima.



I got my first materials and textbook list for school, which starts in ONE month. A terrifying thought.

Speaking of books, my summer book-list: 'The Middle of Everywhere: Helping refugees enter the American community', the always-interesting travel writings of Paul Theroux, 'Freedom of Simplicity' by Richard J. Foster, and I'm just finishing up 'To Heal a Fractured World' by a Jewish rabbi. There's probably a few that I've read and already forgotten.

I ate at the always delicious Cracker Barrel and the delectable Skyline Chili...mmmmm. Just look at that mound of cheese!




I suffered through 117 degree heat....and I spent a great deal of time lounging in pools and/or swimming laps.



All of that, and lots of Skype.

That is a snapshot of the last month and a half of my life. I'm tired just reading it.

0 comments: