Purple toes and corners

on Thursday, January 15, 2009
So I was cleaning my house other day, mopping the floor and minding my own business. All of a sudden the corner wall of my kitchen comes out of nowhere, and my pinkie toe lands squarely into its sharpest point. Of course I was trying to mop as fast as possible, so the velocity of my toe hitting the wall was quite high and I heard it pop upon impact. I hobbled around for a little bit, and then went back to my business, but the pain wouldn't go away. My toe kept getting bigger and bigger and more colorful as the day progressed. The next morning it was a rainbow of purple, blue, black, and green. I iced it and popped some ibuprofen, and it seems to be doing better today. I was able to play tennis, at least.

My apartment has tile floors and steps in really random places. There's a 2-inch step down into the kitchen, and another 2-in step down into the laundry hall. There's also a step down to my bathroom. It's hard to get used to at first, but you get used to them after awhile and forget about them. Then someone new comes to your place, someone who is not familiar with this series of steps. When I see them tripping over them all, I just have to laugh because that was me at first, too. My toe incident, although it involved a corner and not a step, has renewed my fear of these small vertical ascents and I'm terrified of sharp corners.

0 comments: